There is a common misconception that most food trucks would appreciate any catering opportunity. But rarely will you find a food truck who is looking for an opportunity to 'just' come sell food at an event. Why? They have established locations with regular clientele. To ask them to move their business with no guarantee of sales and an unsure amount of attendees is risky business. Below my food truck catering recommendations is a quick checklist for you to get your ducks in a row before reaching out for quotes for a food truck to come to your event.
CHECKLIST FOR HIRING A FOOD TRUCK
· Are you charging the food truck to come to your event? If so, how much?
· How many other food trucks will be allowed at the event? and will you allow 2 trucks of the same genre of food to participate?
· How many eaters will the event attract?
· How many guaranteed sales will you promise the food truck vendor? (They need to prepare food and hire staff well in advance. Many will want a guaranteed sale of $1k per event to consider coming.)
· Are you paying the food truck to hand out 'free' samples at your event? If so, how many samples over how many hours?
· What are the hours, location with directions, and onsite contact person for your event?
· Does your event provide electricity, or does the food truck need to bring a generator?
· Can the food truck sell drinks?
· Do you require a specialized or reduced menu to facilitate quicker lines, or can the food truck sell their entire range of menu items?
· How will the food truck be compensated? Is wireless internet available for credit card sales?
· How will the event be marketed?